This 60-unit plan of study emphasizes performance and choreography grounded in the modern dance genre, and requires 3 years in residence to complete all course work. This degree is a rigorous program designed to challenge professionally experienced dancers to develop their artistic and analytical work through numerous performances and choreographic opportunities. Curriculum is integrated in technique, composition and theory.
The Department of Dance at California State University Long Beach has chosen to keep the MFA degree program small and selective in order to provide adequate resources to all students in the degree plan. It is expected that applicants for the MFA in Dance should have some life experiences in the field prior to application; therefore, this would normally preclude a person who was recently awarded an undergraduate degree.
Student Learning Outcomes:
1. Students will explore, practice, and actualize the craft of making dances to communicate a declared intention.
2. Students will refine proficiency in modern dance and ballet movement vocabularies, enabling them to pursue careers in the professional arenas of performance/choreography and/or education.
3. Students will engage in theoretical inquiry and study in the dance-related areas of history, music, film/video, aesthetics, dance science, and dance criticism.
4. Students will attain substantial knowledge/practical skills in preparation for teaching, including theoretical, practical, and kinesiological perspectives.
5. Students will acquire practical skills in the production aspects of dance, including costume design, lighting design, and stage management and/or public relations.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Dance Pedagogy
- Teaching Practicum
- Dance Science as Related to Teaching Technique
- Practical Research Methods in Dance
- Seminar in Dance Management
- Criticism and Analysis of Dance
- Seminar in Dance
- Teaching Internship
- MFA Technique Laboratory
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Visual Arts Theatre & Dance View 278 other Masters in Theatre & Dance in United States
Criteria for Admission into the Program:
Candidates admitted into this program will be selected on the following criteria:
1. Meet University admissions requirements;
2. B.A., B.F.A., or M.A. degree in dance or equivalent with a 3.0 GPA in upper division dance courses;
3. Professional goals consistent with the plan of study;
4. Life experiences in the field;
5. Audition in performance and choreography.
All MFA candidates are admitted on a conditional status. Removal of the conditional admit will occur after the following:
1. Fulfillment of the Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR);
2. Completion of all prerequisites;
3. Completion of 20 graduate dance units with a GPA of 3.0;
4. Approval of Graduate Advisor.
International3588 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 3588 USD per year and a duration of 36 months.
National3588 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 3588 USD per year and a duration of 36 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.