The Master of Arts in Dance at California State University Long Beach is a practice-oriented degree created to serve experienced dance educators, primarily in secondary and community college venues. It is designed to broaden and deepen dance knowledge and skills for teaching dance classes and producing dance concerts and elevates an undergraduate teaching credential to graduate status.
Because M.A. candidates are teaching during the academic year, coursework is completed in three intensive, 6-week consecutive summer sessions in which 9-12 units are earned each summer.
Student Learning Outcomes:
1. Students will refine proficiency in modern dance movement vocabularies, enabling them to enhance their careers as educators.
2. Students will engage in theoretical inquiry and study in the dance-related areas of history, dance science, and pedagogy, enabling them to enhance their careers as educators.
3. Students will acquire practical skills in the areas of costume and lighting design.
4. Students will explore, practice, and actualize the craft of making dances to communicate a declared intention.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Technique Laboratory
- Dance Performance
- Advanced Design for Dance Lighting
- Advanced Design for Dance Costuming
- Dance Science as Related to Teaching Technique
- Selected Topics in Dance
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts Theatre & Dance View 10 other Masters in Theatre & Dance in United States
Criteria for Admission into the Program
Candidates must meet the following criteria for entrance into the M.A. in Dance:
1. Prerequisite Courses:
- two courses in dance composition;
- one course in dance history;
- one course in anatomy/kinesiology (must be taken in the past five years);
2.Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution with a degree in dance or a related field;
3. Minimum of 3 years experience teaching dance in a high school with a secondary teaching credential
4. Three letters of recommendation, of which one must be from a supervisor or colleague;
5. Movement audition and personal interview;
6. Completion of all application materials.
International7176 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3588 USD per semester during 12 months.
National7176 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3588 USD per semester during 12 months.
If you are not a resident of California , you must add $396.00 for each unit of credit you take.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.