The Department of Theatre is a vibrant, active department committed to teaching and training the artist-scholars of the future. In addition to our highly regarded seasons, we regularly invite theatre artists and scholars to join us in making and thinking about performance. We recognize that the creation of new work is the life blood of the theatre and to this end we provide opportunities for students to develop and create new performance work while maintaining connections to our history through productions of classic, modern and contemporary texts.
The Wexner Center for the Arts complements our own work with innovative offerings of cutting edge performing artists from around the globe.
The department offers diverse ways for students to connect with the theatre profession through internships and international opportunities.
In addition, students may elect courses in acting, directing, and design and to participate in theatre production. The Theatre program from The Ohio State University, culminating in a MA written thesis offers a generalist foundation in theatre studies appropriate for:
1. teaching in secondary schools and some colleges
2. entering into a doctoral degree program
3. beginning a possible professional career in:
- theatre companies
- the entertainment media
- government arts programs
- private arts institutions
Students are expected to develop skills in historical research, critical writing, dramatic interpretation, and theatrical practice.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The Master of Arts in Theatre provides training in theatre studies. Beyond the required course in research methods, students may elect a wide range of courses in theatre history, criticism, theory, and dramatic literature.
- There are also opportunities to take courses in acting, directing, and design and to participate in theatre production.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesTheatre & Dance View 268 other Masters in Theatre & Dance in United States
- A baccalaureate or professional degree (or equivalent foreign credential) from an accredited college or university, earned by the expected date of entry into your graduate program.
- A minimum of a 3.0 cumulative GPA (on a 4.0 scale) for the last degree earned.
- Prerequisite training that will enable you to pursue your program. Evidence usually comes in the form of transcripts or other credentials documenting that you have completed prerequisite academic work.
- Standardized test score (GRE or GMAT) if the score is required by your program. Scores must be sent electronically from the testing agency; faxed or emailed scores are not considered. Note: Scores are valid for five years after your test date.
International39649 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 39649 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National36333 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 36333 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
In-State12749 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 12749 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.