An M.A. degree in History at California State University, Bakersfield is usually a requirement for teaching the subject at community colleges and it provides an excellent complement for teaching the history/social science framework at the high school level. Students completing the M.A. program will have developed critical, analytical, and writing skills that are of value in various fields.
They will have received what is widely considered an excellent preparation for careers in public relations, journalism, law, politics, and the civil service.
For those considering pursuing a Ph.D. in history, and eventually teaching at the university level, the M.A. program gives students a taste of what is involved and prepares them for doctoral work.
Although the program does not require knowledge of a foreign language, students are strongly encouraged to develop a reading ability in a language other than English.
- Historical Research Methods and Historiography
- Reading Seminar in United States History to 1865
- Reading Seminar in United States History since 1860
- Reading Seminar in the American West
- Reading Seminar in Latin American History
- Reading Seminar in the Ancient Mediterranean World
- Reading Seminar in the Atlantic World
- Reading Seminar in European History
- Reading Seminar in the Asian World
- Reading Seminar in Africa/Middle Eastern History
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesHistory Ancient History Modern History View 293 other Masters in Ancient History in United States
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited university: official transcripts from all college/university work
- Transcripts from a college/university outside of the U.S. will require a course-by course analysis
- Affidavit of financial support
- Insurance agreement form
- A copy of the student’s passport
- A statement of purpose
- Current professional resume
- 3 letters of recommendation from former professors
International13684 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13684 USD per year during 12 months.
National13684 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13684 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State8932 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8932 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Long Beach
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.