A three-credit capstone independent study project is required for the M. Eng. degree. Applications directly to the Master's program are typically accepted from students with funding for the study from an external organization, such as industry, government, or foundations.
We offer a master degree in Materials Science and Engineering at the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. The coursework requirement includes at least three of the five 4-credit MSE core graduate courses, namely, Advanced Thermodynamics, Advanced Mechanical Properties, Advanced Structure and Bonding, Advanced Electronic Properties and Advanced Kinetics.
In addition at least 6 additional elective course credits from 6000-level MSE department courses and any remaining course credits must be from 6000-level courses offered by the School of Engineering and/or the School of Science. The M.S. degree requires at least 6, but not more than 9 MS dissertation credits. The elective course selection must be approved by the student’s academic adviser and the graduate curriculum coordinator prior to enrollment in the courses.
Outcomes of the Graduate Curriculum
Students who successfully complete this program will be able to demonstrate:
- knowledge of fundamentals underlying the relationship between the structure, property, and performance of materials.
- ability to formulate, analyze, and investigate the research problem.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- There has never been a more exciting time to obtain a graduate degree in Materials Science and Engineering.
- Breakthroughs in materials research are creating new technological opportunities in sectors spanning aerospace, biomedical, chemical, electronics and energy.
- We provide graduate students unique opportunities for one-on-one interaction with faculty members at the forefront of their fields and synergistic transdisciplinary interactions with each other as they engage in ground-breaking research.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesMaterials Science & Engineering View 219 other Masters in Materials Science & Engineering in United States
- Graduate Application
- Nonrefundable application processing fee of $75
- Personal Statement
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- Two letters of recommendation
- Portfolio, if required by department
- IT Background Evaluation form (IT only)
- Transcripts and Degrees
- GRE/GMAT Scores
International55600 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 55600 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National55600 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 55600 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.