The Biotechnology program of Northwestern University relies on the input of our Industrial Advisory Board to ensure that MBP students graduate with a complete set of competencies designed to satisfy the demands of modern biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies.
Biotechnology is a young, vibrant and diverse discipline, whose tenet is to use microorganisms for the manufacturing of biological therapeutics, foods, chemicals, and other products benefitting people. It includes agrobiotechnology, biopharmaceuticals, diagnostics, and bioremediation. The future of biotechnology lies in advances in healthcare, industrial biotechnology, biofuels, and cleantech.
The majority of MBP students are recent graduates seeking careers in biotechnology and associated fields, as well as the competitive advantage an MS degree provides. At least half are biology majors; the rest are engineers, biotechnologists, and other science majors. The expected class size is 30–40 students per year.
Our interdisciplinary approach provides students with the flexibility and knowledge to pursue a number of biotechnology professions. In addition to becoming research and process development specialists, MBP graduates have taken up roles as consultants, regulatory affairs associates, and analysts. Our program can also prepare students to meet the demands of doctoral programs. MBP graduates have pursued PhDs in Chemical Engineering and the Biological Sciences while others have gone on to work towards their MD or JD.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Balances and Kinetics for Bioprocessing
- Fluids and Mass Transfer for Bioprocessing
- Experimental Techniques in Molecular Biotechnology
- Bioprocess Engineering: Properties and Separation of Biologically Produced Molecules
- Technology Commercialization Fundamentals
- Critical Thinking and Communication
- 15 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, National
- Deadline passed, International
DisciplinesBiotechnology View 152 other Masters in Biotechnology in United States
- Fill out and submit the online application.
- Participate in an interview in person, by phone, or via Skype within 4 weeks of the submission of the online application. Interviews will take place during the first week of each month (see below for schedule).
- Arrange for two recommenders to provide evaluations and receive an official decision.
International33056 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 16528 USD per semester and a duration of 15 months.
National33056 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 16528 USD per semester and a duration of 15 months.
- per quarter: $16,528
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.