The Department of Mathematics from the University of California, Santa Barbara takes seriously three aspects of mathematics within its graduate training: 1) Applied Mathematics: mathematicians help directly in the solution of problems which arise in other areas of human endeavor, 2) Mathematical Education: training others how to develop solutions on their own, and 3) Pure Mathematics: they expand the reach and clarify the understanding of mathematical thought itself.
The Department offers programs leading to an M.A. in Mathematics, M.A. in Applied Mathematics, Ph.D. in Mathematics, and an optional degree emphasis in Computational Science and Engineering.
1) Computational Science and Engineering, and 2) Bioengineering
- The majority of this material is taken directly from the department's Graduate Student Handbook, which helps guide our graduate students throughout the various stages of their programs.
- These documents include general information, suggested preparation, an outline of each program offered, faculty information, and lists of course offerings.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMathematics View 839 other Masters in Mathematics in United States
- Online application
- Statement of Purpose, Personal Achievements/Contributions, and Resume or CV (submitted in the online application)
- Three Letters of Recommendation (submitted online)
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended (submitted online)
- GRE General test scores and GRE Math Subject test scores
- TOEFL scores 550 Paper-Based Test (PBT), 80 Internet-Based Test (IBT) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) Overall Band score of 7 or higher (if applicable)
- TSE (Test of Spoken English) is also recommended for applicants (who are taking the Paper-based TOEFL), whose native language is not English
- Final/Official transcripts
International12570 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12570 USD per year during 12 months.
National12570 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12570 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Santa Barbara
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.