The History program from the University of California, Santa Barbara is designed to provide students with research training leading to the doctoral degree, pedagogical training and instructional opportunities in preparation for teaching at a range of post-secondary institutions, and a broader array of skills and professional development training to provide students with the versatility required to use their historical training in non-academic as well as academic settings.
Students specializing in public historical studies receive training that prepares them for careers in the community at large, working in a variety of historical institutions (museums, preservation firms, oral history projects) or as private consultants. Graduates of our program are also prepared to teach public history at the college and university level, and often pursue careers combining opportunities in both academic and non-academic areas.
Ancient Mediterranean Studies, Black Studies, Environment and Society, Feminist Studies, Global Studies, Medieval Studies, and Technology and Society (All Ph.D. only)
- Our department offers graduate program training across a broad spectrum of time periods, geographically-defined and topical areas of specialization, and methodological approaches.
- While we continue to attract students in such long-established areas of strength as Medieval Europe, Gender, Twentieth Century U.S., and Public History, the graduate program reflects the dynamism of the field and the evolving interests of the faculty.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesHistory View 665 other Masters in History in United States
- Online application
- Statement of Purpose, Personal Achievements/Contributions, and Resume or CV (submitted in the online application)
- Three Letters of Recommendation (submitted online)
- GRE General test scores
- TOEFL Paper-Based Test (PBT), Internet-Based Test (IBT) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) (if applicable for international applicants)
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended (submitted in the online application)
- Writing Sample (submitted in the online application)
- Final/Official transcripts
International12570 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12570 USD per year during 12 months.
National12570 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12570 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Santa Barbara
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.