The program in Film and Media Studies at the University of California, Santa Barbara emphasizes the study of film and media history, theory, analysis, aesthetics, and criticism from a humanistic perspective, within the context of global media culture. Students are encouraged to incorporate intensive site-specific study as part of their dissertation research.
Eighteen core faculty and fifteen affiliated faculty members span a wide range of areas and specializations. In addition, several major scholarly publication projects are based in the department.
Environment and Society; Feminist Studies; Global Studies; Technology and Society (All Ph.D. only)
- The Department of Film and Media Studies at UC Santa Barbara is one of the leading international centers for education and research in our field. Founded as a small interdisciplinary program in 1973, and elevated to the status of an autonomous department in 1996, Film and Media Studies is now academic home to roughly 500 undergraduate majors and 30 graduate students.
- Within a broad framework of liberal arts education, the Department’s undergraduate BA curriculum offers courses on the history and theory of film and media practices around the world; fiction and nonfiction filmmaking; video games, interactive, and web-based digital media production; screenwriting; archival and curatorial practice, and more.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media View 305 other Masters in Film, Photography & Media in United States
- Online application
- Statement of Purpose, Personal Achievements/Contributions, and Resume or CV (submitted in the online application)
- Three Letters of Recommendation (submitted online)
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended (submitted online)
- GRE General test scores
- TOEFL scores 600 Paper-Based Test (PBT), 100 Internet-Based Test (IBT) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) Overall Band Score of 7 or higher (if applicable)
- A Writing Sample must be submitted in the online application and should demonstrate excellent written ability in an address to film and media studies or a related field that relies on analogous critical, historical and theoretical methods
International12570 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12570 USD per year during 12 months.
National12570 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12570 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Santa Barbara
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.