The department is among the best in the country. We feature high caliber faculty and state-of-the-art facilities in all areas of chemistry, including the traditional sub-disciplines (biochemistry, inorganic, materials, organic, physical, and theoretical). Interdisciplinary collaboration with scientists, nationally and internationally, as well as with other departments and organized research units on campus, is encouraged and supported.
The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry from the University of California, Santa Barbara also offers a joint two-year program, with the Gevirtz Graduate School of Education. Students spend their first year working on an MA in Chemistry and year two is spent working on a Single Subject Credential in Chemistry. Deadline for this program is January 31, 2020. For more information about program requirements and deadlines, see Chemistry/TEP Joint Graduate Degree Program.
Optional Ph.D. Emphasis in Bioengineering
- Research in our department spans the traditional Organic, Inorganic, Materials, Physical, Theoretical and Computational chemistry, and Biochemistry areas.
- At the same time, our strength is the interdisciplinary and modern approach to chemical research. The following interdisciplinary research areas provide a glimpse at this tradition. The areas and their boundaries are overlapping by nature. Various UCSB Organizations and Institutes provide support and a forum for collaborations.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesChemistry Biochemistry View 546 other Masters in Chemistry in United States
- Online application
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions (submitted in the online application)
- Statement of Purpose, Personal Achievements/Contributions, and Resume or CV (submitted in the online application)
- Three Letters of Recommendation (Submitted online)
- TOEFL scores 550 Paper-Based Test (PBT), 80 Internet-Based Test (IBT) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) Overall Band score of 7 or higher (if applicable)
- Final/Official transcripts will be required for all applicants who are admitted and have indicated their intent to enroll at UC Santa Barbara by submitting a Statement of Intent to Register (SIR).
International12570 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12570 USD per year during 12 months.
National12570 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12570 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Santa Barbara
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.