Each student contracts a unique course of study and research directed towards the understanding of human nature, culture and biology, past and present. There are three specializations in the M.A./Ph.D. program at the University of California, Santa Barbara: Archaeology, Sociocultural Anthropology and Integrative Anthropological Sciences (IAS). Further specialization is possible within each of these fields.
Archaeology, Sociocultural Anthropology and Integrative Anthropological Sciences (IAS)
- Applicants are admitted to the M.A./Ph.D. program with the expectation that they will meet the requirements for the M.A. degree and advance to complete the PhD degree.
- Applicants who have received their M.A. degree from another institution must demonstrate that they also meet the UCSB Department of Anthropology M.A. requirements and may be asked to complete courses and/or pass the appropriate comprehensive examination or assessment before advancing to Ph.D. candidacy.
- These determinations are made by faculty after the student is enrolled in the program, usually during the first or second year. Therefore, applicants wishing to pursue a Ph.D. will apply to the M.A./Ph.D. program.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesAnthropology View 187 other Masters in Anthropology in United States
- Online application
- Statement of Purpose, Personal Achievements/Contributions, and Resume or Curriculum Vitae (CV) (submitted online)
- Three Letters of Recommendation (submitted online). Note: If submitted via postal mail, please attach required coversheets with applicant signature.
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended (submitted online)
- GRE General test scores
- TOEFL scores
- Writing Sample (submitted online)
- Final/Official transcripts will be required for all applicants who are admitted and have indicated their intent to enroll at UC Santa Barbara by submitting a Statement of Intent to Register (SIR).
International12570 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12570 USD per year during 12 months.
National12570 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12570 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Santa Barbara
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.