The Public Administration program of San Francisco State University offers eight elective themes to guide course selection for student specialization. They are criminal justice administration, environmental administration, gerontology administration, nonprofit administration, public management, public policy, and urban administration. Students may also self-design a theme by choosing courses relevant to their professional interests offered by other departments and programs throughout the University.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Meet challenges of rapidly changing world
- Lead and manage in public governance
- Apply a wide range of knowledge about the public service
- Apply a wide range of knowledge about an elective area within public service
- Evidence professional skills necessary for the public service
- Participate in and contribute to the public policy process
- Analyze, synthesize, think critically, solve problems and make decisions
- Articulate and apply a public service perspective
- Communicate and interact productively with a diverse and changing workforce and citizenry
- Write effectively and concisely for an audience of professionals
- Present effectively to small and large groups
- Word effectively in groups and teams
- Communicate and work to ensure social justice, equity and other public service values highlighted by the Program
Well-trained, competent, and ethical professionals are in high demand in all sectors. Graduates from the MPA program emerge with proficiency in theoretical foundations of public administration, a combination of technical professional skills and soft leadership skills and high levels of analytical competency. They graduate with a portfolio of applied field projects that demonstrate those skills and competencies. Our graduates serve in a wide array of local, state, and federal government agencies, domestic and international nonprofit organizations, and research and consulting firms. A few pursue Ph.D.s at other universities to enter into a career in higher education.
- Foundations of Governance and Management
- Design and Consumption of Research
- Applied Data Analysis
- Policy Process and Civic Engagement
- Organization Design and Change Management
- Performance Management and Planning
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPublic Administration View 501 other Masters in Public Administration in United States
- Statement of purpose to the SF State MPA Program
- Your current resume
- Two (2) letters of recommendation. These should be from individuals who know the candidate well and can address their potential for succeeding in graduate school. The letters do not have to be from faculty members at an academic institution, they can be from supervisors or others familiar with the candidate's work.
- English language proficiency
International8704 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8704 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National8704 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8704 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.