The Broadcast and Electronic Communication Arts program of San Francisco State University reflects a comprehensive view of the communication discipline with an integration of theory and practice. Emphasis areas include media aesthetics, audio and video production, news and documentary, interactive media, writing, management, and communication theory and criticism.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Apply aesthetic theory to the practice of media production.
- Use effective communication strategies, including media terminology as appropriate, in the creation and analysis of electronic and digital media content.
- Integrate research-related media theory into the conception and distribution of media content.
- Conceptualize, design, and write stories for electronic and digital media.
- Demonstrate proficiency in fundamental and advanced media production concepts and techniques.
- Analyze and write about electronic and digital media’s role in and impact on culture and society.
- Critically evaluate business trends and the legal and regulatory frameworks of electronic and digital media industries.
- Promote ethical standards and social justice in the creation and distribution of electronic and digital media.
Graduates of the department are to be found working in media organizations around the world and include some of the top names in broadcast journalism, entertainment television, radio, and audio and video production. The long-term career outlook for graduates is excellent. Most seek work with radio and television stations, social media and Internet companies, audio and video production companies, networks, cable television companies, and in corporate and institutional media departments.
Many graduates continue their education and pursue advanced degrees in communication or related fields. Students with the appropriate credential or graduate degrees in broadcast and electronic communication arts may teach in elementary and secondary schools, community colleges, or universities. A significant number of the department's M.A. graduates have competed successfully for admission to the leading doctoral programs in the field of communication.
More informationVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Formula and Creativity in the Public Arts
- Ethics and Responsibility in Electronic Media
- Seminar in Media Aesthetics and Production Theory
- Seminar in Media and Society
- Readings for the Written Comprehensive Examination
- Culminating Experience Examination
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesElectronics & Embedded Technology Computer Sciences View 78 other Masters in Electronics & Embedded Technology in United States
- A CV or resume
- Applicant's statement of purpose in pursuing the M.A. degree
- Three letters of recommendation, at least one of which should be from a former teacher
- A 500-word writing sample
- Transcripts of all previous college work
- GRE scores
- English language proficiency (international students)
International8704 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8704 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National8704 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8704 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.