The Ed.M in Science Education program from Rutgers University is designed for individuals who possess a bachelor’s degree and have a background in teaching and/or in physical science, biological science, or general science. Middle school teachers with a sufficient science background can apply to the program, too.
This program has three major goals:
- to help students learn pedagogical content knowledge of physical science or biological science, i.e., content-specific teaching methods in these disciplines;
- to provide students with a grounding in the historical and philosophical contexts of the discipline that they are teaching, i.e., history and philosophy of physical science or life science; and
- to provide students with research experiences in physical science or life science. This will help them better understand how scientists work and how discipline-specific knowledge develops.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Demonstration and Technology in Science Education
- Biology and Society
- Development of Ideas in Physical Science
- Teaching Physical Science
- Teaching Life Science
- Research Internship in Science Education
- Understanding Evolution: A Classroom Perspective
- Multiple Representations in Physical Science
- Topics in Science Education: Learning in Informal Contexts
- Science Education Practicum
- Design of Learning Environments
- Inquiry and the Design of Learning Environments
- Motivation in the Classroom
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Natural Sciences View 3550 other Masters in Education in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Career goal statement, research interest statement, writing sample or published paper and interview. Interview to register for non-matriculated.
- GRE General, transcripts, personal statement, and three letters of recommendation.
- Explain why you are applying to the program, how the program matches your goals, and how it addresses your educational needs.
- Accepted students will have 5 years to complete the program, from the beginning of any course work to be counted toward the program.
- A complete listing of degree requirements are available for download or at the Office of Student and Academic Services.
International30144 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15072 USD per semester during 24 months.
National30144 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15072 USD per semester during 24 months.
In-State17736 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8868 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for New Brunswick
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.