Exploring options through rigorous prototyping and critique, students identify directions that provide value, prompt action, and support sustainable change. Upon graduation, students are ready to make a significant impact in the private, public, or nonprofit sector.
Students at the Illinois Institute of Technology with no formal design training are encouraged to apply. Accepted students join a cohort of people from around the world with varying disciplinary backgrounds.
The Master of Design is a two-year degree for people who want to become strategic designers. Through collaborative projects, students build offerings and service systems that address complex business, civic, and social challenges. Students with no formal design training are encouraged to apply.
Our students enjoy more than a 90 percent placement rate within six months of graduation.
Employers come to campus in the fall and spring for recruitID, when students can interview for internship and career opportunities. Through regular careerID programming, students receive ongoing support and guidance on the hiring process and in planning their professional paths.
ID alumni become leaders across the private and public sectors, serving at the director and executive level in roles like:
- UX designer
- Innovation consultant
- Design strategist
- Design researcher
- Interaction designer
- Managing Interdisciplinary Teams
- Design Connoisseurship
- Engaging Stakeholders in Innovation
- Visual Modeling for Analysis
- Ethics in Design
- Innovation Narratives
- Leadership and Innovation
- Sensor-based Research Methods
- Empathy and Design
- Trans-cultural Stories
- Design Research in the Social Sector
- Fostering Creativity
- Emotional Human Factors
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesDesign Visual Arts View 817 other Masters in Visual Arts in United States
- Applicants must have a bachelor’s degree and are required to submit transcript(s), full mark sheets, and degree/diploma certificates from each institution attended—regardless of whether or not a degree was earned—as well as three letters of recommendation, a portfolio, statement of interest, and a resume or curriculum vitae. There is no minimum work experience requirement, although two to four years of professional experience is preferred.
- ID considers full-time internships, volunteer work, and freelance projects as formal work experience. TOEFL or IELTS scores are required for any applicant with an undergraduate degree from an institution where the primary language of instruction is not English. We do not require a GRE or GMAT score for any application. However, if you have a score you would like to submit we are happy to include that in your application evaluation. We will accept either the GRE or the GMAT.
International49380 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1646 USD per credit during 12 months.
National49380 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1646 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Chicago
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.