Prerequisites to M.S. and Ph.D. Degree Programs:Prospective students must satisfy the requirements of the Graduate School as described in this catalog and have the approval of the Graduate Admissions Committee of the Department of Physics. In addition, to be admitted to graduate study in physics without deficiency, candidates should have an undergraduate degree with the equivalent of a 30-hour major in physics including intermediate-level courses in mechanics, electricity and magnetism, quantum physics and thermal physics, and mathematics through differential equations. Students who present less than the above may be admitted with deficiency dependent on degree track subject to the approval of the department’s Graduate Admissions Committee. Students may eliminate deficiencies while concurrently enrolling in graduate courses, provided prerequisites are met. While submission of Graduate Record Examination scores is not required for admission, students who have taken the GRE advanced physics test are urged to submit their test scores to the physics department to facilitate advising and placement.
- University Physics
- Analytical Mechanics
- Modern Physics
- Laboratory and Classroom Practices in Physics
- Physics in Perspective
- Physics of Devices
- Modern Physics Laboratory
- Selected Topics in Experimental Physics
- Master of Arts Research
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesPhysics View 397 other Masters in Physics in United States
- Students may choose between two Master of Science degrees in the physics department. These are the M.S. Physics (30-hour thesis path); and the M.S. Physics (36-hour non-thesis path). Both M.S. degree curricula prepare a student for the Physics Ph.D. degree.
- Incoming graduate students will be advised by a departmental graduate adviser for the first two years. Students must form their thesis or advisory committees by the end of their third academic semester and file the appropriate forms with the Graduate School. The thesis committee (thesis-path students) consists of the research adviser as chair, two members of the physics faculty, and one member of the graduate faculty not from the Physics Department.
International1138 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1138 USD per credit and a duration of .
National421 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 421 USD per credit and a duration of .
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.