The curriculum for this online space studies program – originally designed by former NASA astronaut Dr. James Reilly, veteran of three shuttle missions and five spacewalks – offers in-depth research projects and prepares you to meet the challenges associated with humankind’s exploration and usage of space.
This master’s program in Space Studies, offered by the American Public University System, is taught by experienced astronomy and aerospace leaders who are practitioners in their fields. Knowledge obtained from this program is useful preparation for a career as an aerospace operations engineer/technician, observatory telescope operator, planetarium astronomer, space industry administrator, space journalist, or military space systems specialist. And, because the program offers 18 hours of graduate credits in the discipline, it will prepare you to teach at a college level.
In addition to the institutional and degree level learning objectives, graduates of this program are expected to achieve these learning outcomes:
- Develop an appreciation of the foundations and importance of space studies in the role of human space exploration/understanding of the cosmos.
- Analyze quantitative and qualitative research and statistical data related to the support of aerospace science, astronomy, or space policy concepts.
- Assess the history, chronology, and concepts for placing manned and unmanned vehicles in space.
- Evaluate the importance of remote sensing satellites used to observe our Earth and other celestial bodies in the Solar System.
- Synthesize the psychological and physiological elements necessary to support human life in the space environment, including spacesuit design/development.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Introduction to Space Studies
- Research Methods in Space Studies
- Chronology of Space
- Remote Sensing Satellites
- The Psychology and Physiology of Space
- Planetary and Solar System Studies
- 2 months
Start dates & application deadlines
Courses Start Monthly
DisciplinesAstronomy & Space Sciences View 11 other Masters in Astronomy & Space Sciences in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- All APU graduate programs require you to have earned a minimum of a bachelor’s degree from an institution whose accreditation is recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).
- If you have a non-U.S. transcript, please view our International Admissions page for more information.
- There is no fee to complete the APU admission application.
International370 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 370 USD per credit and a duration of 2 months.
National370 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 370 USD per credit and a duration of 2 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Getting a Student Visa
This is an online programme. You can attend from the comfort of your chair! So you don't need a student visa!
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.