The online Master of Arts in International Relations is specifically designed to provide students with a foundation in advanced international relations topics, as well as a specialization in an interdisciplinary professional field. Concentrations include Global Security, US Foreign Policy & National Security, International Development, International Negotiation & Conflict Resolution, and Social Enterprise. The program can be completed in 12–24 months. A bachelor's degree is required; but GRE/GMAT scores are not.
Through the online Master of Arts in International Relations program from American University Washington DC , students study the key principles and perspectives underlying the field of international relations. The curriculum helps students sharpen their analytical skills with regard to cross-cultural communication and foreign policy and cultivate the economic, statistical, and decision-making skills that are crucial to succeed in this sector.
Students will graduate with the framework to analyze and communicate international issues and evaluate the effectiveness of international programs and policy.
Students can customize their course work by selecting from of a variety of concentrations, including global security, international development, and U.S. foreign policy. They will also be required to participate in at least one residency experience held on the School of International Service (SIS) campus in Washington, D.C., and have the opportunity to participate in optional study abroad trips that include locations around the world. They will finish the program with a capstone project that incorporates skills gained throughout their courses.
Graduates of the School of International Service have been hired for leadership roles at top organizations, including:
Think Tanks and Research Centers
- Carnegie Endowment for International Peace
- Congressional Research Service
- Council on Foreign Relations
Defense, Intelligence, and Security
- U.S. Department of Defense
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security
Human Rights and International Development
- Amnesty International
- Human Rights Campaign
- FHI 360
- World Bank
Foreign Policy and Diplomacy
- U.S. Department of Energy
- U.S. Department of State
- U.S. Global Leadership Coalition
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- International Studies: History, Theory, Practice
- Intercultural Communication
- Global Governance
- International Economics
- Introduction to Economic Theory
- Quantitative Methods: Research Design & Statistical Analysis
- Planning, Forecasting and Decision Making
- Project Design, Monitoring & Evaluation (DM&E)
- International Relations Capstone
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- Apply before
36 - 39
DisciplinesInternational Relations International Law International Development View 29 other Masters in International Development in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A bachelor's degree is required; but GRE/GMAT scores are not.
- Your résumé/CV allows the admissions committee to review your background and previous experiences.
Statement of Purpose
- All applicants to the School of International Service’s (SIS) graduate programs must possess a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution by the date of anticipated enrollment.
Letters of Recommendation
- All applicants to SIS graduate programs are required to submit two letters of recommendation.
MAIR Economics Preparation
- It is highly recommended that you have previous microeconomics and macroeconomics course work prior to enrolling in the program.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International1997 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1997 USD per credit during 12 months.
National1997 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1997 USD per credit during 12 months.
- Merit scholarships are awarded by the academic departments.
- Complete your FAFSA online.
- Awarding Timeline
- Additional Forms
- Loan Eligibility
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.