Working in close connection with museums and heritage institutions in the Netherlands and abroad, you will acquire the theoretical insights and practical experience necessary for a career in academia or the museum world.
The Art History programme at Utrecht University is not limited to a single period or geographical area but singles out important developments in the field. It is structured such that you can pursue your personal interests. You are encouraged to critically reflect on the past as well as imagine new possibilities in the study of art history, material culture, and museums.
The programme’s long-standing ties with major art museums and heritage institutions in the Netherlands and abroad ensure an integrated approach of theoretical and practical aspects. Dutch students often spend a semester in a major museum abroad while students from other countries usually intern at a major Dutch or Flemish museum.
This Master's programme prepares you for positions involving research on the art and architecture of the Low Countries. After graduation you will often find PhD positions, or jobs in:
- art galleries
- research libraries
- the art trade
Some of our graduates have gone on as independent exhibition organisers.
A substantial part of the graduates will move on to a PhD programme.
Accredited by the NVAO - Accreditation Organisation of the Netherlands and Flanders.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Art History: Institutions And Current Research
- Digital Perspectives: A Course On Computational Art History And Its Development
- Dutch Graduate School Of Art History
- Trends And Shifts In Art History, 2000-2015
- Research Design: Art History
- Art History: Knowledge, technologies and material culture
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Deadline passed, EEA/EU
- Deadline passed, National
DisciplinesHistory Liberal Arts Modern History View 17 other Masters in Liberal Arts in Netherlands
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
You will be considered for admission to the Research Master’s programme in Art History of the Low Countries if you have a Bachelor’s degree from a Dutch university (or foreign equivalent) and can demonstrate the following knowledge, insight, and skills:
- You are able to interpret and apply complex theories in the field of art history, as demonstrated by a relevant research paper or Bachelor’s thesis.
- You are able to design, perform, analyse, and report on scholarly research in art history, particularly that of the Low Countries, as demonstrated by a relevant research paper or Bachelor’s thesis.
- You have a strong motivation to do independent research, which is discussed convincingly in your motivation letter.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International17078 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 17078 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA2143 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2143 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
Utrecht University, the Dutch Government and other organisations offer scholarships, fellowships and grants. Below is a list of the scholarships that are most often used by international students studying in Utrecht. Note that the scholarship options for programmes starting in February are limited.
- Utrecht Excellence Scholarships
- Bright Minds Fellowships
- Holland Scholarship
- Orange Tulip Scholarship - for Chinese students only
- Utrecht Sylff Scholarships - for outstanding graduates from University College Utrecht and Economics and Business Economics (UU)
- Student grant and loan system
- Tuition fee loan
- Erasmus+ Master loans
- Canadian student loans
- US Federal Loans
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.