Working in close connection with museums and heritage institutions in the Netherlands and abroad, you will acquire the theoretical insights and practical experience necessary for a career in academia or the museum world.
The Master's Art History programme at Utrecht University is not limited to a single period or geographical area but singles out important developments in the field. It is structured such that you can pursue your personal interests. You are encouraged to critically reflect on the past as well as imagine new possibilities in the study of art history, material culture, and museums.
The programme’s long-standing ties with major art museums and heritage institutions in the Netherlands and abroad ensure an integrated approach of theoretical and practical aspects. Dutch students often spend a semester in a major museum abroad while students from other countries usually intern at a major Dutch or Flemish museum.
CareersAfter graduation graduates of our RMA programme will often find PhD positions, or jobs in:
- art galleries
- research libraries
- the art trade
Accredited by the NVAO - Accreditation Organisation of the Netherlands and Flanders.
- Art History: Institutions And Current Research
- Digital Perspectives: A Course On Computational Art History And Its Development
- Trends And Shifts In Art History, 2000-2015
- Art History: Knowledge, Technologies, And Material Culture
- Art History: Global And Transcultural Art History
- Research Design: Art History
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesHistory Liberal Arts Modern History View 28 other Masters in Liberal Arts in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
This is a selective Master's. You will be considered for admission to the research Master’s programme in Art History if you have a Bachelor’s degree from a Dutch university or foreign equivalent (research university degree) and can demonstrate the following knowledge, insight, and skills:
- You are able to interpret and apply complex theories in the field of art history, as demonstrated by a relevant research paper or Bachelor’s thesis.
- You are able to design, perform, analyse, and report on scholarly research in art history, as demonstrated by a relevant research paper or Bachelor’s thesis.
- You have a strong motivation to do independent research, which is discussed convincingly in your motivation letter.
- You are able to express yourself in proficient English, both orally and in written from, as demonstrated by your motivation letter, an interview, and if possible a writing sample (which can be one of the papers mentioned above).
International17500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17500 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA2209 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2209 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Utrecht
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.