Recognising that sport managers operate in a highly politicised environment, the programme reviews the role of government policy in shaping sporting opportunities and sport's contribution to social policy agendas.
The MSc in Sport Policy, Management and International Development at The University of Edinburgh critically assesses sport's contribution to government social policy concerns (such as crime prevention, health improvement, education attainment, community building), and its role in conflict resolution, gender empowerment, disease prevention and poverty reduction in different parts of the world. It critically analyses a wide range of sport policy and sport management issues in the UK and compares these with experiences across a wide range of countries.
You will focus on management issues in contemporary sport organisations, the media's role in sport management debates, and sport marketing and communications concepts.
The programme also explores fundamental aspects of research methods and links these to sport management concerns. Your understanding is enhanced through the extensive involvement of local and national sport organisations.
The programme provides the higher-order knowledge required for early-career graduates to enter employment in the sport industries, and for current sport practitioners to advance their careers.
The qualification can lead to rewarding careers in areas such as sport marketing, sport sponsorship, sport events, sport development, sport social enterprises, sport facility management, and sport and international development.
The Master's degree can also lead to PhD study.
- Sport and the Media
- Sport Marketing and Communications
- Sport Policy
- Sport Resource Management
- Sport, Society and International Development
- Conceptualising research: Foundations, Assumptions and Praxis
- Sources of knowledge: Understanding and analysing research literature
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesSports Management Sports Sciences View 199 other Masters in Sports Management in United Kingdom
- A UK 2:1 honours degree, or its international equivalent, in a relevant discipline in sport such as sport and exercise, sport management, or social sciences such as marketing and management, public policy and administration, media and communication, politics and international relations.
- Work experience (paid or voluntary) in sport management or sport industry is desirable, but not essential.
- We may also consider applicants who do not hold a degree in a relevant subject but have had substantial relevant employment or experience within the sport industry; please contact us to check before you apply
International25300 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25300 GBP per year during 12 months.
National12500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12500 GBP per year during 12 months.
MSc PT fees per 10 credits
- Home: £665
- International/EU: £1,335
Living costs for Edinburgh
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.