Strategically located in California's Silicon Valley, at the center of a globally renowned technology and innovation hub, the Master of Design (MDes) program at San José State University sits at the intersection of technology, industry and academia.
With a focus on current, emerging and experimental professional practices, the MDes is an incubator for new ideas and methods. The MDes degree is comparable to an MFA and is considered a terminal degree in the fields of animation and design.
- Utilize creative research methodologies to investigate, discover, and understand complex problems.
- Plan, implement, and evaluate creative projects that consider technological, ecological, socio-economic, and/or global contexts.
- Employ creative practice and technology to conceptualize unique solutions for complex problems as part of a culminating project.
- Demonstrate the ability to create, participate in and lead interdisciplinary and collaborative creative projects.
Courses in this program include:
- CG Animation
- Building Interactivity in Animation and Games
- Experience Design
- Prospective students should have a demonstrable academic and/or professional background in the following areas: graphic design, industrial design, product design, user-experience design, user-interface design, interaction design, data visualization, information design, and/or other related disciplines.
- In order to apply, applicants must have completed a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution while also maintaining a minimum GPA of 2.5.
- For the Specialization in Experience Design: an online portfolio of work with at least 10 projects exhibited.
- For the Specialization in Animation: submit a portfolio and/or animation reel with at least 10 projects exhibited.
- Official transcripts from all higher education institutions.
- Two letters of recommendation.
- A one-page statement of purpose explaining why you are pursuing a graduate degree in experience design or animation. Must also include a preliminary master’s project proposal.
International7176 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3588 USD per semester during 24 months.
National7176 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3588 USD per semester during 24 months.
Non-resident students pay basic registration fees plus $396 per unit.
Living costs for San Jose
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.