The goal of these programs is to produce scholars well-trained in Japanese language, firmly grounded in the linguistic and literary traditions, and thoroughly conversant with critical discourses (indigenous and western) relevant to their fields. Students who complete the program at the PhD level have extended first-hand exposure to the modern societies whose languages, literatures, and cultures they study and significant teaching experience in both the language and the literature classroom. Learn more with this program in Japanese from Washington University in St. Louis.
- A two-year program housed in an internationally-recognized community for research on Japanese literature, language, and culture, the MA in Japanese requires 36 units of graduate study in Japanese which may include courses from related fields, such as East Asian Studies and Comparative Literature.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages View 806 other Masters in Languages in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Language proficiency through fourth level (Japan 458, 459) and two semesters of classical Japanese (Japan 460, 461). [No more than 12 units in Japanese language training may be applied toward the required 36 units. Students who enter with advanced proficiency in Japanese may be allowed to waive the language requirement but must enroll in additional program-related courses to meet the required total.]
- At least two semesters of literary history courses to ensure a critical awareness of the broad scope of Japanese literature.
- At least one course in critical theory, methodology, or research methods, to be determined in consultation with advisor, and preferably taken early in the student's studies.
- Students who plan to continue their academic training on the PhD level will have two options: complete a Master’s Essay or a Master’s Thesis
International57750 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 57750 USD per year during 24 months.
National57750 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 57750 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Saint Louis
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.