Graduate students committed to the close study of musical works and the process of musical thinking will find a welcome environment at the Department, which offers the Master of Arts and Doctor of Philosophy degrees in Music (concentration in Music Theory). The graduate program prepares students to undertake research in musical analysis and in the language and methodology of music theory. Preparation includes guiding each student in developing his or her own modes of thought and expression. From the beginning of their course of study, students develop mentor relationships with faculty members and undertake independent reading and research projects. All students participate in the Theory Colloquium, where graduate students and faculty meet regularly to discuss their current research, topics of common interest, recent publications, and musical works. Learn more with this program in Music Theory from Washington University in St. Louis.
- Faculty research interests encompass critical examination of methodology, contextual, and phenomenological analysis, Schenkerian theory, serial analysis, the role of figurative language in apprehending musical works, gender studies, and comparative studies in literary theory. The research of the theory faculty is focused most closely on Western European repertory from the 18th to the 20th centuries.
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- a completed online application plus fee
- a curriculum vitae
- a personal statement describing your primary area(s) of interest and your rationale for graduate study
- a writing sample of eight-to-twelve pages; please upload to the GSAS website under 'Supplemental Forms'
- transcript(s) from undergraduate institution(s)
- three letters of recommendation
International57750 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 57750 USD per year during 12 months.
National57750 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 57750 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Saint Louis
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.