Students of the University of Colorado Colorado Springs (UCCS) complete foundation coursework in Public Administration and Sociology, but have the flexibility to customize their programs by choosing elective coursework in public administration and sociology that best suits their interests and career goals.
The research methods requirements are taken in sociology, and the culminating experience (e.g., capstone or thesis) is a collaboration between the two programs. Students without significant professional experience in public service will take an additional 3-credit hour internship.
Admission applications will be reviewed by the program director for each of the programs. It is possible for students currently admitted to one program to apply after admission to the other. Interested applicants should contact one of the program directors prior to making an application. For inquiries regarding the dual MPA and MA in Sociology degree please contact either MPA Director Dr. David Moon or Sociology Department Chair Dr. Jeff Montez de Oca.
The dual degree program requires a minimum of 53 credit hours, including:
- 15 credit hours of Public Administration (PAD) core courses
- 4 credit hours of Sociology (SOC) core courses
- 7-8 hours of research methods course work from SOC
- 21-24 credit hours of PAD and SOC elective courses
- 3-6 credit hours of culminating experiences (Capstone or Thesis)
Students enrolled in the dual MPA/MA in Sociology program must maintain academic standards for both programs:
- A grade point average of B (3.0 on a 4-point scale) or better is required for degree candidacy
- Grades of B- or better in all PAD courses
- Grades of B or better in all SOC courses
- Organizational Management and Behavior
- Economics and Public Finance
- The Policy Process and Democracy
- Ethics and Leadership
- Research Methods
- Sociology of Media and Popular Culture (Content Analysis)
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesSociology Public Administration Public Policy View 746 other Masters in Public Policy in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Online Graduate School Application, which includes a written statement indicating educational and career goals
- $60 non-refundable application fee
- Official transcripts from all higher education institutions
- Written statement
- Two recommendations by qualified references that establish the applicant's personal qualifications for graduate work. Recommendations may be from professors, employers, and/or others who are acquainted with the prospective student's professional and/or academic work.
- Current resume
International15464 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7732 USD per semester during 36 months.
National15464 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7732 USD per semester during 36 months.
In-State7748 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3874 USD per semester during 36 months.
Living costs for Colorado Springs
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.