About this Degree
Genetics and Genomics faculty have strengths in many areas, from fundamental studies at the molecular, cellular, organismal, and population levels, to research with immediate practical application. Ongoing research projects span all the major areas of theoretical and experimental genetics, including genomics, molecular studies of gene regulation, gene mapping, genetics of disease, transposable element studies, developmental genetics, quantitative and statistical genetics, computational molecular biology, evolutionary genetics, and population genetics.
Learning Goals that students in this Genetics and Genomics program at Iowa State University are expected to meet include:
- Demonstrate comprehensive understanding of scholarly literature in the area of study. 1. Measurable outcomes a. Passing the qualifying exam b. Passing the defense with an appropriately written discussion of the research findings c. Proposed research in the area of study d. Scholarly productivity (papers, posters, grants, etc.)
- Plan and conduct research via appropriate acquisition, analysis, and reporting of data. 1. Measurable outcomes a. Passing the prelim b. Passing the dissertation defense c. Publication of research results d. Presentation of conference abstracts (poster) e. Oral presentation of scientific data
- Clearly and accurately communicate research findings orally and in writing. 1. Measurable outcomes a. Talks b. Abstracts c. Posters d. Papers e. Grant proposals
- Ethics and Biological Sciences
- Special Topics
- Workshop in Genetics
- Graduate Student Seminar in Genetics
- Faculty Seminar in Genetics
- Conceptual Foundations of Genetics
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMicrobiology Biochemistry Genetics View 250 other Masters in Microbiology in United States
- GRE's are optional. Statement detailing past research experience and present research interests at Iowa State
- We would appreciate it if your supplemental materials (resume, research experience, research interests) were submitted as a pdf into the on-line application system.
- Academic Records, GPA, Statement of Purpose, Letters of Recommendation
International27380 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13690 USD per semester during 12 months.
National25684 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12842 USD per semester during 12 months.
In-State10140 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5070 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for Ames
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.