Students may elect courses in each part of the degree program and may design a course of study that meets their specific interests and needs. The Music Learning and Teaching MM program offered at Arizona State University provides opportunities to study full time, part time (through evening courses), in the summers only, or by combining full-time, part-time and summer study. Options for pursuing teacher certification are also available. Full-time students may complete the program in as little as one year.
The School of Music, Dance and Theatre graduate programs inspire and empower students to become creative leaders who transform society through music.
Musicians with expertise in performing, composing, teaching, researching, arts advocacy and serving as therapists are in high demand across many sectors and industries, including performing arts organizations, educational institutions, entertainment companies, health and wellness industries, and community arts organizations. Skills such as creativity, collaboration, innovation, entrepreneurship and the focused discipline needed for success as musicians are all highly valued by a wide range of companies and professions.
Career examples include:
- arts administrator
- community arts advocate
- performing musician
- public or community school teacher
- university professor
- Music History
- The Art of Teaching Children Music
- The Art of Teaching Contemporary Musicians
- The Art of Teaching Choral Musicians
- The Art of Teaching Beginning Instrumentalists
- The Art of Teaching Advanced Instrumentalists
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesMusic Music History Teaching View 1037 other Masters in Music in United States
- Applicants must fulfill the requirements of both the Graduate College and the Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts.
- Applicants are eligible to apply to the program if they have earned a U.S. bachelor's degree or higher from a regionally accredited institution or the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor's degree from an institution in another country that is officially recognized by that country.
- Applicants must have achieved a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 (scale is 4.00 = "A") in the last 60 semester hours or 90 quarter hours of their first bachelor's degree program.
All applicants must submit:
- online graduate admission application and application fee
- School of Music, Dance and Theatre application (including a resume)
- three letters of recommendation
- proof of English proficiency
International25200 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25200 USD per year during 12 months.
National23544 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23544 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State11720 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11720 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Tempe Junction
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.