Faculty in the Department of Philosophy at University of Kansas are engaged in world-class research and publication in many areas of the discipline. While the Department is committed to excellence in core areas of philosophy, it is also dedicated to the solution of some of the most pressing problems facing humanity. The discipline of business ethics began at KU with the pioneering work of Richard De George and KU Philosophy remains a department that is engaged with pressing social and political concerns. Feminist philosophy, social and political philosophy, and moral philosophy are among the highlights of current research and teaching in the Department.
About this Degree
The Terminal M.A. degree requires 30 hours of graduate course work, including a first-year graduate tutorial and at least 12 additional hours of seminar and/or thesis work. M.A. candidates must pass a comprehensive examination over their course work or must write and successfully defend an M.A. thesis.
Fast-Track Master of Arts in Philosophy
The fast-track M.A. provides excellent KU undergraduates in Philosophy an opportunity to complete an M.A. in Philosophy within a year of completing the bachelor’s degree. Talented students who are planning to continue their studies at the doctoral level or to continue to law school will receive a competitive advantage by acquiring a graduate degree in less time than a traditional terminal M.A.
- For the thesis option, the student must submit an acceptable thesis and pass a 2-part oral or written examination including 1 part covering the material of the M.A. program generally and a second part devoted to a defense of the thesis.
- For the non-thesis option, the student must pass an oral examination covering the material of the M.A. program.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics Cognitive Sciences View 196 other Masters in Cognitive Sciences in United States
- Graduate Record Examination Scores (verbal, quantitative, analytical) or Law School Admission Test Scores (for applicants to the joint J.D./M.A. program) KU GRE Code: 6871
- A Brief Personal Statement of Academic Goals
- A Writing Sample preferably a sample of philosophical prose approximately 10-15 pages in length
- Applicants who indicate English is not their native language
International23951 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23951 USD per year during 12 months.
National23951 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23951 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State9989 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9989 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Lawrence
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.