This Art Education (Pre-K-Grade 12) program at The City University of New York is for graduate students seeking Initial Certification through New York State. Students in this program pursue a range of courses that prepare them for certification with New York in teaching art. This program is appropriate for anyone interested in teaching in community centers, museums, or other spaces for learning.
Initial certification programs are available at the graduate level for students with a baccalaureate degree. Professional certification programs leading to a master’s degree are available to students who possess initial certification. Students already holding a master’s degree in a content-related area may enroll in an advanced certificate program.
- Curriculum and Assessment in Art Education
- Identity, Community and Culture in Art Education
- Materials and Methods in Art Education
- Seminar on Student Teaching in Secondary Schools
- Workshops on Child Abuse Identification, School Violence Prevention, Dignity for All Students Act (DASA), and Other Professional Topics
- Critical Perspectives in Art Education
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesTeaching Art Education View 1731 other Masters in Teaching in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Online application submitted via the School of Education.
- Personal Statement describing interest in pursuing art education, career goals, and supporting experiences.
- 3 letters of recommendation from former professors, supervisors, or mentors.
- Portfolio: Prepare an online portfolio of 15-20 images of creative work produced within the last 3 years. If you have previous teaching experience, you may also submit examples of student artwork. When prompted by the online application system, submit a pdf document that includes the URL of your online website and a set of thumbnail images of which works of art you would like the committee to review.
- Selected students will be contacted for an interview with Art Department faculty.
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE) test results.
International35055 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 855 USD per credit during 12 months.
National35055 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 855 USD per credit during 12 months.
- Full-time - $5,545/semester
- Part-time - $470/credit
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.