To prepare you for these fields, we've developed a program that is advanced, fast-paced, and research-focused. In fact, your curriculum will allow you to explore the same research areas as our PhD students, because we want you to be well-equipped to pursue an advanced degree when you finish. In addition to your curriculum, we'll want you to choose between one of two plans. Plan I (thesis option) requires a thesis based on original research.
You can research in an interdisciplinary area such as biophysics, chemical physics, geophysics, mathematical physics, neurophysics, optics, materials science, or engineering physics. Or, if you're still mulling over the decision of whether to pursue a PhD or MD, Plan II (non-thesis option) is built just for you. The thesis option is replaced here with more advanced coursework and an exit exam.
- An MS in Physics from The University of Alabama at Birmingham can open the door to careers in software development, engineering, research, banking, teaching, and more.
- Instructional Physical Science
- Studies in Physics Teaching
- Physical Science for Teachers
- Computational Solid State Physics
- Biomedical Optics
- Applications of Contemporary Optics
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesPhysics Astronomy & Space Sciences View 128 other Masters in Astronomy & Space Sciences in United States
Admission into the physics graduate program is by recommendation of the graduate admission committee of the Department of Physics. The committee takes into consideration the following:
- an undergraduate degree in physics or a related field
- prior academic performance in physics courses
- verbal and quantitative scores on the GRE
- a personal statement of career goals
- prior research experience
- letters of recommendation
International35610 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1187 USD per credit during 12 months.
National33270 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1109 USD per credit during 12 months.
In-State14040 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 468 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Birmingham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.