The Early Child Development and Clinical Applications programme from University College London (UCL) combines a comprehensive multi-perspective understanding of development and clinical practice in the early years with a supervised clinical placement, a two-year observation of infants in a family setting, and a research project.
The programme provides a multi-perspective theoretical grounding in early child development, allowing students to:
- Develop practical observational and clinical skills for work with children and parents in the early years;
- Engage deeply with an area of knowledge and develop the skills required for conducting reliable and valid research;
- Develop skills in integration across theory, clinical practice and research.
Students who successfully complete the MSc can apply their degree in a variety of settings and find work as child mental health workers or psychology assistants, or take up posts as research assistants. They may also be admitted onto professional doctorates or PhD programmes. The programme has strong links with IPCAPA at the British Psychotherapy Foundation (bpf) and with the UCL Doctorate in Child and Adolescent Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy, accredited Child and Adolescent Psychotherapy training schools in London.
- Multi-perspective thinking about early child development and clinical practice;
- Practical observational and clinical skills for work with children and parents in the early years;
- Research skills required for conducting reliable and valid mixed-methods research;
- Science communication skills; translating science into accessible language
- Early Child Development
- Psychoanalytic Theories of Infancy and the Caregiver-Child Relationship
- Multiple Perspectives on Development and Psychopathology
- Applied Psychoanalytic Concepts
- Research Methods: Statistical Analysis
- Parent-Infant Observation
- Prevention in Mental Health
- Multi-disciplinarity and Multiple Perspectives in Early Years
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPsychology Educational Psychology Early Childhood Education View 841 other Masters in Psychology in United Kingdom
- A minimum of an upper second-class Bachelor's degree from a UK university or an overseas qualification of an equivalent standard is required.
International29400 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29400 GBP per year during 24 months.
National12900 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12900 GBP per year during 24 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.