It is particularly helpful in enhancing practising English/literacy teachers' promotional prospects and 'leadership capital', and is relevant to practitioners from across all phases of education.
Updated annually, a carefully balanced English Education MA programme offered at the University College London (UCL) of core and optional modules explores a wide range of contemporary topics relating to English as a curriculum subject; interactive seminars are designed to draw on participants' own experiences and increase awareness of the richness and scope of English as a field of study (including media and drama).
Graduates of this programme are currently working across a broad range of areas. Some are working as teachers of English (in the UK and internationally), while others have jobs as heads of English departments in UK schools. Graduates can also be found working as education advisers with cultural organisations.
The majority of our MA English Education students are already employed as practising teachers who are thinking about the next steps in their professional careers, for example as Heads of Department or taking up whole-school literacy development posts.
- Contemporary Issues in English Education
- Shakespeare in Education
- Creativity: from theory to practice in English Media Drama
- Teaching Controversial Issues
- Literacy Practice in Writing and Comprehension
- Assessment for Learning
- Assessment Issues and Practice
- International Perspectives on Educational Reform
- Gender, Sexuality and Education
- Developing Understanding in English, Media, Drama Studies
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- We recommend you apply as soon as possible. The programme may remain open if places are still available and will be closed as soon as it is full or by 30 June.
DisciplinesEducation Languages Linguistics View 461 other Masters in Languages in United Kingdom
- Normally a minimum of a second-class UK Bachelor's degree in English or a related area (e.g. media or drama) or an overseas qualification of an equivalent standard. Knowledge and experience of teaching English language/literature as a curriculum subject (primary, secondary or tertiary) is essential.
- NB. applicants do not have to be qualified teachers, but these applicants would need to demonstrate substantial relevant postgraduate work experience - for example, at least a year working as a Teaching Assistant or similar role in a school or college.
International24000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24000 GBP per year during 12 months.
National10800 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10800 GBP per year during 12 months.
- UK: £5,400
- International: £12,000
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.