Businesses increasingly have to reinvent themselves to meet the demands of a world characterised by societal challenges such as climate change, population growth, migration and globalisation.
Pressure from consumers, regulators and other stakeholders stimulates organisations to combine financial and social goals, rather than focusing solely on shareholder value.
The Business and Social Impact programme at Utrecht University is based on Utrecht University’s world-class research in business strategy, organisation, marketing, entrepreneurship and innovation.
The academic staff of Utrecht University School of Economics (U.S.E.) excel in integrating business perspectives with broader socio-economic issues.
This comes to the fore in our Sustainable Finance Lab, the Social Entrepreneurship Initiative and its link with the business world and policy practice.
The Master’s in Business and Social Impact provides you with:
- The tools, skills and techniques to transform businesses and strengthen their social value creation;
- Market analysis and empirical techniques for such analysis, including customer development;
- Strategy creation abilities. Special attention is paid to redesigning strategies to meet (new or existing) missions and values in line with the SDGs;
- Competences for dealing with tensions and synergies between businesses’ growth ambitions and social goals;
- Knowledge of the types of finance that businesses aiming to create social value can draw upon.
Career ProspectsWith this Master’s programme, students develop the academic and professional skills to prepare for work in businesses who do more and better for society. You will know how to develop organisational strategies to make this happen. After finishing your studies, you can start your career in one of these areas:
- Corporate social responsibility (CSR) expert, manager, controller or adviser;
- Social marketer;
- Sustainable finance expert;
- Social business developer;
Accredited by the NVAO
- Empirical Economics
- Strategy, Economics And Societal Impact
- Sustainable Entrepreneurship And Development
- Corporate Finance And Society
- Marketing And Society
- Frontiers Of Business And Social Impact (Research Project)
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesBusiness Administration Marketing Sustainable Development View 105 other Masters in Business Administration in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A BSc of a research university in Economics or Economics and Business Economics. The Admissions Office assesses all international credentials according to the credential evaluation criteria of the Nuffic (the Netherlands Organisation for international cooperation in Higher Education), and advises the Admissions Committee on this subject;
A good command of English. Check the specific English proficiency requirements below.
If you have another type of Bachelor's degree (e.g. Business Administration, Management, Social Sciences, Engineering, Political Sciences) you must have knowledge in the following fields:
- Corporate Finance
- Econometrics or Advanced Statistics
International21736 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21736 EUR per year during 12 months.
EU/EEA2314 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2314 EUR per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Utrecht
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.