In this Language, Culture and History - Hispanic Studies MA from University College London (UCL), students can combine their interest in Hispanic and Lusophone Studies with optional modules from Gender Studies, Translation Studies, and Comparative Literature.
The programme offers a broad range of optional modules in Hispanic cultures from the early modern period to the present day, alongside relevant training in research skills and methodologies.
Students develop a knowledge and understanding of the key aspects and complex concepts used to understand Hispanic literature, film and culture.
Teaching and learning
The programme is delivered through a combination of lectures, seminars, classes and tutorials. Students are encouraged to undertake independent reading both to supplement and consolidate what is being taught. Students are assessed by a variety of methods, including long essays, take-home exams, and the dissertation.
This programme may lead to further research, or to employment in which a broad familiarity with Spanish and Latin American culture is an asset.
- Language, Culture and History
- Advanced Translation from and into Spanish
- The Battle for Memory in Contemporary Spanish Novel: The Transition to Democracy
- Contemporary Catholicisms in Latin American Culture
- The Andean World of Arguedas
- Landscape and environment in Latin American Culture
- Mayas, Aztecs, and Incas: The Native Peoples of the Americas prior to the Spanish Conquest
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- We recommend you apply as soon as possible. The programme may remain open if places are still available and will be closed as soon as it is full or by 30 June.
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies History Linguistics View 645 other Masters in History in United Kingdom
- A minimum of an upper second-class Bachelor's degree in a relevant discipline from a UK university or an overseas qualification of an equivalent standard.
- A knowledge of Spanish at least equivalent to UK A level standard is required. Applications from students who do not have formal qualifications in Spanish but who are competent in the language, will be considered.
International26600 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26600 GBP per year during 12 months.
National12900 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12900 GBP per year during 12 months.
- UK: £6,450
- International: £13,300
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.