Biotechnology, MS at UCI BioSci
The Biotechnology program of the University of California, Irvine (UCI) emphasizes formal training and immediate participation in research. First-year students participate in core technical laboratories in protein isolation and characterization, animal and microbial cell culture and recombinant DNA methodology. Students also participate in individual faculty research projects.
Why Get A Masters Degree in Biotechnlogy?
Over the last 20 years, biotechnology has revolutionized the pharmaceutical industry through the creation of recombinant protein products including bovine and human growth hormones, insulin, interferons, and erthythropoietins. In agriculture, biotechnology has produced herbicides and insect-resistant plants and will have a major impact on society by producing high-yielding nutritious crops that can grow in high salinity, drought, and in extreme cold. In the field of medicine, genetically engineered animals, as well as human gene therapies, have immense potential.Recently, the discovery of stem cells has been suggested by many to represent one of the most important medical discoveries of past 100 years. Over the last several years there has been a remarkable surge in literature documenting the feasibility of using stem cells to treat a broad spectrum of human diseases including multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer’s disease, cancer, ALS, type-1 diabetes, arthritis, burns, and spinal cord injury. In addition, stem cells are being used in basic research laboratories to help elucidate fundamental concepts in molecular, cellular, and developmental biology.
- Protein Structure & Function
- Recombinant DNA Techniques
- Recombinant DNA Theory
- Structure & Biosynthesis of Nucleic Acids
- Protein Isolation & Characterization
- Protein Isolation Theory
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiology Biotechnology Bioinformatics & Biostatistics View 440 other Masters in Bioinformatics & Biostatistics in United States
- Admission is contingent upon the successful completion of a bachelor’s of science degree, or equivalent
- Applications are evaluated on the basis of grades (minimum 3.0 GPA)
- Three recommendation letters
- General GRE scores
- Foreign students will be required to submit a TOEFL score and occasionally a TSE score.
- Applicants from India must submit one of the following in order to be eligible for Graduate studies consideration: a continuous 4 year degree from an accredited University, College or Institution or a completed 3 year Bachelor’s accompanied with a completed 2 year Masters. The combination of 3+2 would be the equivalent of the U.S. Bachelor’s. We do not accept a straight 3 year Bachelor’s nor do we accept a 1 year completion of the 2 year Masters in the 3 + 2 combination.
International33619 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 33619 USD per year during 24 months.
National33619 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 33619 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State18517 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18517 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Irvine
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.