The Software Engineering program of the University of California, Irvine (UCI) accepts applicants with undergraduate degrees in any major. The main requirement for this program is to have prior knowledge in two programming languages. Prospective students can acquire this knowledge either by self-learning or by being exposed to programming courses in their undergraduate degrees.
Some highlights of the program include:
- A first quarter intensive experience designed to solidify and broaden students’ knowledge of the computing landscape through programming
- A set of six courses covering the fundamental technical knowledge in software engineering
- Two courses dedicated to professional development in the software industry
- A summer internship
- A capstone project designed to enhance students’ professional portfolio
MSWE is the ideal program for the following prospective students:
- Majors in Computer Science, Information Systems, or Informatics who benefit from an intensive programming and software development experience before launching their professional careers
- Majors in Science, Engineering, Arts, Humanities, and other areas who have dabbled in programming, and want to branch out into software engineering careers
- Working professionals in Information Systems careers who want to switch into more technical positions
- Applied Data Structures and Algorithms
- Network Programming
- Database Programming
- Concurrent Programming
- GUI Programming
- Mobile Programming
- 15 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesGeneral Engineering & Technology Computer Sciences Software Engineering View 520 other Masters in Software Engineering in United States
- Bachelor’s degree (in any field) or equivalent
- Proficiency in written and spoken English
- Knowledge of data structures, such as lists, arrays, trees, and associative arrays
- Proficiency in two general-purpose programming languages. It does not matter which ones. Projects in MSWE courses involve several programming languages, with Python and Java dominating at the moment.
- Online Application for UCI Graduate Admissions and Application Fee ($120 for domestic applicants, $140 for international applicants)
- Statement of Purpose
- Personal History Statement
- Supplemental Questions
- Official Test Scores
- Three Letters of Recommendation
International33619 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 33619 USD per year during 15 months.
National33619 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 33619 USD per year during 15 months.
In-State18517 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18517 USD per year during 15 months.
Living costs for Irvine
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.