The Multicultural and Multilingual Education in Secondary Schools program at California State University Northridge is for secondary and other educators who work with students from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds.
The Master of Arts degree in Multicultural and Multilingual Education in Secondary Schools is designed to:
- Broaden students’ knowledge of ESL, bilingual and multicultural education.
- Develop leadership skills in ESL, bilingual and multicultural education.
- Develop research skills in ESL, bilingual and multicultural education.
- Develop skills and knowledge in effectively working with students and families of diverse cultural backgrounds.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Students read, evaluate, and synthesize educational theory and research in multicultural and multilingual education in order to develop and establish their own conceptualizations of the guiding principles and areas of inquiry of the field.
- Students critically examine their subject knowledge, pedagogical content knowledge, and pedagogical skills to situate these within the guiding principles of multicultural and multilingual education.
- Students design, conduct, and apply research to promote the principles of multicultural and multilingual education within diverse schools and communities.
- Students demonstrate educational awareness through critical analysis of current discipline-based and general educational issues, and evaluation of how those impact diverse schools, families, and communities.
- Students strive to influence policy and practice that promote the principles of multicultural and multilingual education through advocacy, example, and leadership.
- Bilingual and Bicultural Teaching in Secondary Schools
- Research in Secondary Education
- Educational Issues in Multicultural and Multilingual Classrooms
- Theory and Research in Teaching ESL in Multilingual Classrooms
- Theory and Research in Multicultural and Multilingual Education in Secondary Schools
- Multicultural Students, Families and Communities
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesTeaching Secondary Education View 1849 other Masters in Teaching in United States
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- Experience as a teacher (desirable).
- Teaching credential (may be waived for private school teachers or college instructors).
- Submission of a completed department application.
- Submission of a completed application to CSUN via Cal State Apply.
- Cumulative undergraduate GPA of at least 2.5.
International14042 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14042 USD per year during 12 months.
National14042 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14042 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State8498 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8498 USD per year during 12 months.
Yearly tuition fee for seven or more units per semester.
Living costs for Los Angeles
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.