Urban design is the study of cities, their form and nature, as well as the complex challenges and opportunities of global urbanisation. This Urban Design programme from University College London (UCL) belongs to The Bartlett School of Architecture's suite of B-Pro programmes, which focus on advanced digital design and computation.
Working collaboratively within teaching groups called Research Clusters, students explore new ideas in both design and theory, developing a complex understanding of the city as a place of human co-existence.
Students are encouraged to use the school’s home in London as their primary ‘laboratory’, but also undertake other field work. The programme provides the opportunity to discover new design skills, using specialist tools and technology.
Urban Design MArch culminates in the annual B-Pro Show – an exhibition of student work, attracting thousands of visitors to the school’s central London home.
- Work collaboratively to innovate and explore new ideas in design and theory
- Discover new design skills and techniques, critical enquiry and related technologies
- Gain an understanding of the city as a place of human co-existence and devise strategies and projects to guide its future development
- Explore and understand London, one of the world’s richest and most diverse urban centres
- Have access to B-made workshop facilities and fabrication expertise unrivalled in the UK
The Bartlett School of Architecture is recognised as one of the world's leading schools of architecture and graduates from our Master's programmes are highly sought after.
Having built up a specialist expertise in urban design, gradates from this programme enjoy a reputation as forward thinkers in cities around the world. Recent graduate destinations have included design agencies and architectural practices, as well as further academic research.
- Introduction to Urban Design Theory
- Design Thesis Report
- Technical Skills
- Urban Design Thesis Initial Projects
- Urban Design Thesis Final Project
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- We recommend you apply as soon as possible. The programme may remain open if places are still available and will be closed as soon as it is full or by 30 June.
DisciplinesArchitecture Landscape Architecture Urban Planning View 121 other Masters in Landscape Architecture in United Kingdom
- A minimum of a second-class UK degree in an appropriate subject or an overseas qualification of an equivalent standard.
- Applicants with extensive experience in the field may also be considered. A design/creative portfolio is also expected.
- Applicants will be asked to submit a portfolio of their design work once their completed application has been received, and should not send or upload work until it has been requested.
International32100 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 32100 GBP per year during 12 months.
National14700 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14700 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.