Students learn how to use software that simulates performance spaces and the behaviour of people in different conditions.
They learn how to manipulate software and physical hardware to create both simulated and actual 1:1 performance space and performances in an architectural context .
Teaching and learning
The programme is delivered through design, fabrication and performance tutorials, skills workshops, seminars, lectures, site visits, group working and (optional) field trip. Assessment is via design and skills portfolios, written coursework submissions and verbal presentations.
Careers in physical and virtual interaction design, the design of performance spaces and creation of performative events form one of the most vibrant parts of global design endeavour in the 21st century. They are also the subject of extensive academic research.
Students at the Design for Performance and Interaction programme offered at the University College London (UCL) gain the following skill set:
- the design and production of well-considered spaces
- performances and interactive assemblies
- presenting work in a portfolio context
- the application of analytical and sensing programmes
- the application of digital and analogue setting and performance techniques
- the production of an illustrated written research report in an academic context.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Design for Performance and Interaction: Thesis Portfolio, Final Projects
- Design for Performance and Interaction: Thesis Report
- Design for Performance and Interaction: Contextual Theory
- Design for Performance and Interaction: Introductory Design Workshops
- Design for Performance and Interaction: Thesis Portfolio, Initial Projects
- Design for Performance and Interaction: Skills Portfolio
- 15 months
- 30 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArchitecture Industrial Design Design View 501 other Masters in Design in United Kingdom
- A minimum of a second-class UK degree in an appropriate subject or an overseas qualification of an equivalent standard. Applicants with extensive experience in the field may also be considered.
- A design/creative portfolio is also expected.
- Applicants will be asked to submit a portfolio of their design work once their completed application has been received, and should not send or upload work until it has been requested.
International28500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 28500 GBP per year during 15 months.
National14300 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14300 GBP per year during 15 months.
- UK: £7,150
- International: £14,250
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.