The Creative Documentary by Practice programme offered at the University College London (UCL) draws on broad based anthropological and critical thinking about the social and cultural world but above all will leave you with a deep practical understanding of the craft of factual film making, culminating in the production of a medium-length feature documentary film.
You will acquire advanced camera and editing skills in a context of critical enquiry about the social world. You will learn and explore diverse forms of factual storytelling including how to work with an ‘external commissioner’.
You will learn how to take risks in pushing the boundaries of film form. You'll deepen you knowledge of documentary film history and learn how to tell long-form stories through images.
Graduates of the programme will develop a series of practical and transferable skills including:
- Solving complex problems - developing lateral thinking and creative questioning
- Managing time and production flows in complex projects and effectively integrating research into film practice
- Communicating effectively and succinctly
- To be able to pitch and sell stories/product to potential clients
- Be able to find the form best suited for a particular 'narrative, be this in media or other contexts.
- An Introduction to Social Theory
- The Story and – Finding the Form
- Time and the Staged Index – The evolving narrative of Photography and Film
- Experimental and Interactive Storytelling – Form and Narrative
- Documentary Radio – a practice based introduction
- Documentary Film and the Anthropological Eye
- The Idea of Documentary
- Russian Cinema: Epochs and genres
- Global Cinemas
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- We recommend you apply as soon as possible. The programme may remain open if places are still available and will be closed as soon as it is full or by 30 June.
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media History Media Studies & Mass Media View 358 other Masters in Media Studies & Mass Media in United Kingdom
- You are required to have a 2:2 at BA or pass at a non practice based Masters. We require a portfolio of work to support all applications. We will accept applications from practitioners whose portfolio of work and CV demonstrates communicative and artistic achievement to the level of BA.
- If your education has not been conducted in the English language, you will be expected to demonstrate evidence of an adequate level of English proficiency.
International29400 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29400 GBP per year during 24 months.
National16500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16500 GBP per year during 24 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.