The vast chronological and geographical range of medieval cultures has been constantly rethought, reinterpreted and reinvented in subsequent epochs.
You'll explore the extraordinarily rich material legacy of the period, including urban structures, places of worship, sites of government, and universities. At York you'll be able to study in one of the best preserved medieval cities in Europe.
The flexible History of Art (Medieval Art and Medievalisms) course from the University of York enables you to learn about art geographically across much of Europe and the Islamic world. You can investigate a wide variety of art objects and their related visual practices, and take modules from related disciplines.
- Museums, galleries and auction houses
- Cultural management
- Heritage and conservation
- Journalism and media
- Art administration
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Medieval Art and Medievalisms: Research Skills and Methods
- Art and Imagery in York Minster
- The Art of the Pre-Raphaelites
- Critical Architecture: More Than Mere Containment
- Ceramic Arts of the Islamic World
- Fashion: Theories, Materials and Images (1540-1940)
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
Applications can be submitted year-round, but we recommend you apply as early as possible as entry to many courses is competitive.
DisciplinesArt History View 225 other Masters in Art History in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- 2:1 or equivalent. We welcome students who have previously studied History of Art, but also those from other backgrounds. Applicants below 2:1 or equivalent will be considered on condition of an interview with the programme leader
Other qualifications and experience
- We will consider applications from mature students or applicants without formal academic qualifications if you have substantial related experience. We may ask you for an interview in this instance.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International18700 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18700 GBP per year during 12 months.
National8440 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8440 GBP per year during 12 months.
- UK: £4,220
- International/EU: £9,350
Living costs for York
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.