This innovative, three-year, 60-credit graduate degree prepares you to work alongside a team of aspiring and seasoned musical theater professionals in both commercial and nonprofit theater fields. You can also pursue careers in theater education.
The Musical Theater Collaboration unique curriculum at Temple University is built upon field-driven, experiential techniques and craft-based training through production, studio and workshop opportunities. Graduates become authors, composers, choreographers, directors, lyricists and playwrights, among others.
Write adaptations, dramas, scripts and scores, culminating in a full theater production or workshop performed in New York City. Many Musical Theater Collaboration MFA productions are reviewed and critiqued by some of the top industry professionals both on and off Broadway.
The program prepares candidates for careers in the musical theater industry or academy as collaborating creative team members and as independent artists engaged in the creation of new musical theater works.
You can choose one of the following three areas of specialization:
- Composer and composer/lyricist
- Director and director/choreographer
- Playwright and book writer
- Musical Theater Practicum
- History of Decor
- History of Fashion
- Theatrical Model Making
- Design Drafting
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesTheatre & Dance View 331 other Masters in Theatre & Dance in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Research your graduate degree program
- Complete online application
- Letters of Reference: 3
- Coursework Required for Admission Consideration
- Statement of Goals: Introduce yourself in approximately 500 words by relaying your relevant experience, values, and areas of interest. Proper essay form should be used, but it may be in a personal style.
- Standardized Test Scores
- Interview: Interviews are generally conducted in March and April through URTA, with audition sites in New York, Chicago, and San Francisco, as well as locally on the Temple University campus. Applicants called back for an interview are required to bring transcripts, a headshot, and a resume.
- Resume: Current resume required.
- Bachelor's Degree in Discipline/Related Discipline: A baccalaureate degree is required.
International28820 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1441 USD per credit during 36 months.
National28820 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1441 USD per credit during 36 months.
In-State21560 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1078 USD per credit during 36 months.
Living costs for Philadelphia
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.