We are a department of fifteen accomplished professors who provide high quality graduate instruction about the systematic study of politics. Our primary goals are to:
- Prepare students to be informed and effective citizens, policy makers, professionals, and scholars
- Produce new knowledge on substantively and theoretically important questions about politics, and to disseminate those findings through high visibility, peer-reviewed publications
We also seek to make our department's expertise available and useful to local, state, national and international communities and governments, as well as to national and international scholarly networks.
The Political Science Department at The University of New Mexico admits a small number of well-qualified candidates to its graduate program each year. Our relatively small size (about 35 students) allows us to provide individualized graduate instruction and mentorship. Our accessible yet intensive, multi-method training approach pays dividends. Co-authoring with graduate students, for instance, is a common occurrence in our department. And our students win highly competitive dissertation-stage awards such as National Science Foundation, Social Science Research Council, Fulbright, and Fulbright-Hays awards. Only three (much larger) departments in the country have won more such awards in the past decade. As a result, our graduates are competitive in both the academic and non-academic job markets.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- American Politics
- Politics Around the World
- International Politics
- Political Ideas
- Public Policy & Administration
- Intro To Political Analysis
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPolitical Science View 274 other Masters in Political Science in United States
- A short (1-2 page) letter of intent describing your interest in the study of political science at UNM.
- Writing sample (preferably a research paper) illustrating analytical ability and stylistic mastery.
- Three letters of recommendation, preferably from former instructors.
- Unofficial transcripts from each academic institution attended.
- Unofficial GRE scores.
- All applicants must have ETS send official GRE scores to UNM code #4845
- Official transcripts
International26636 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26636 USD per year during 12 months.
National26636 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26636 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State8509 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8509 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Albuquerque
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.