George Mason University prepares health informatics professionals with knowledge of healthcare industry and technology solutions, in conjunction with practical skills needed in this dynamically evolving field.
The program’s goal is to prepare graduates to be able to effectively analyze complex health data, manage evolving health information systems (ranging from evaluation of information needs to design, development, acquisition, implementation, operation and improvement) and support the increased adoption and use of electronic health records.
Students learn about emerging technologies likely to impact delivery of health services in the future
The program provides a basis for students who wish to continue their education toward a doctoral degree in health informatics or a related field. The program consists of three concentrations: Health Data Analytics, Health Informatics Management and Population Health Informatics.
The MS in Health Informatics degree is offered via a regular on-campus or premium priced all-online delivery format. The curriculum in both programs is the same, but students must matriculate through only one pathway.
Separate application processes are used for online and on-campus programs. Most courses in the on-campus program are taught in the evening at Mason’s Fairfax Campus, with some courses available in hybrid or online formats. On-campus students can complete their degree at their own pace provided that they do so within six years of starting the program.
The online premium-priced program is offered in a flexible, compressed schedule online format. In the all-online program, courses are taken one at a time, in an accelerated 8-week format, and follow a prescribed sequence.
This 33-39 credit graduate degree program prepares students to become health information systems specialists, health data analysts, health care managers and consultants. Graduates of the program may be employed in health information technology firms, health care/service organizations and their business partners, as well as public health entities.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Computational Tools in Health Informatics
- Introduction to the U.S. Health System
- Introduction to Health Informatics
- Health Care Databases
- Health Data: Vocabulary and Standards
- Advanced Health Information Systems
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesHealth Sciences Health Informatics View 1374 other Masters in Health Sciences in United States
- Completed online application for graduate study and application fee
- An earned baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education, or international equivalent, verified from copies of unofficial transcripts uploaded to the online application Self-Service Center.
- Copies of unofficial university transcripts and any earned degree
- All transcripts from colleges or universities outside the United States must be translated into English
- Verification of English language proficiency.
- Official GRE, GMAT, LSAT, or MAT or other official test scores
- Other supplemental materials specified by your academic program such as essays, departmental forms, portfolios, or interviews
International1487 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1487 USD per credit during 12 months.
National1487 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1487 USD per credit during 12 months.
In-State599 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 599 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Fairfax
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.