The Music program of the Northern Arizona University offers candidates a wide range of academically rigorous and inspiring courses; high-level solo performing and ensemble opportunities; and personal attention from distinguished faculty. Many graduate students enjoy teaching and conducting opportunities that are rarely offered at the Master's level.
Available Emphasis Areas:
- Choral Conducting
- Instrumental Conducting
- Instrumental Performance
- Piano Accompanying and Chamber Music
- Suzuki Pedagogy (Violin)
- Vocal Performance
Career opportunities that might be pursued:
- Senior-level public school teaching position
- Major ensemble conductor
- Online or Community college faculty position
- Apprenticeship performance programs
With further education, one of these paths is possible:
- University teaching
- Establish and maintain a private music studio
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Music Research
- Theory Pedagogy
- Trends And Themes In Music History
- Topics In Ethnomusicology
- Topics In Popular Music
- Advanced Conducting
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesMusic Musicology Liberal Arts View 1122 other Masters in Music in United States
- NAU Graduate Online application is required for all programs.
- Undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.00 (scale is 4.00 = "A"), or the equivalent.
- English language proficiency scores.
- 2 letters of recommendation
- Writing Sample (Musicology; Theory)
- Portfolio (Composition emphasis)
- Video or Audio File: prospective students pursuing a performance sub-plan must submit a 15-20 minute audio/visual recording that demonstrates their skills to the major faculty member in their area before scheduling a live audition (unless prior permission has been attained from the major professor).
- Personal statement or essay.
International26994 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26994 USD per year during 12 months.
National26994 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26994 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State11004 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11004 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Flagstaff
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.