The MLitt in Classics at the University of St Andrews is a full-time taught postgraduate programme run by the School of Classics. The course embraces the study of all aspects of the ancient Greek and Roman world including Greek and Latin literary culture, ancient history, archaeology, classical philosophy, and the reception of antiquity in later periods.
- Includes a unique and intensive core course, including training in the use of a range of literary sources and material evidence; resources and how to access them; theoretical approaches and key themes in the study of antiquity; and training in practical skills (e.g. presentation skills, digital humanities, outreach and public engagement).
- Provides a wide foundation in key debates in the study of antiquity.
- Offers the opportunity to focus on a wide range of specialist areas, with one-to-one supervision from leading researchers.
- Allows students to develop their skills in Greek or Latin or to begin ancient languages from scratch, and to develop reading skills in a relevant modern language.
- Teaching format
CareersPostgraduates from the School of Classics go on to pursue careers in a diverse range of professional careers: for example, recent graduands have gone on to work in publishing, law, finance, teaching, university administration and museum curatorship; others have gone on to successful academic careers in the UK, North America and internationally.
- Greek History and Material Culture
- Latin Literary Culture
- Greek Literary Culture
- Roman History and Material Culture
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies History General Studies & Classics View 628 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United Kingdom
- The minimum formal requirements for entry to the MLitt in Classics are a first-class or high 2.1 degree (UK), a GPA of 3.6 or above, or equivalent.
- letter of intent
- sample of academic written work (between 2,500 and 5,000 words)
- two original signed academic references
- academic transcripts and degree certificates
- evidence of English language proficiency (required if English is not your first language).
International23530 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23530 GBP per year during 12 months.
National11120 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11120 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for St Andrews
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.