At a Glance
The Rural Surveying and Rural Property Management programme of the University of Aberdeen provides a range of knowledge and skills e.g. land management, public policy, law, planning, economics, and valuation, integrated to meet the future challenges facing landowners and land managers. As a rural land and business manager the student/graduate is concerned not only with practical land management but also with the financial, legal, planning, and policy contexts within which decisions are made and business interests managed. Further information about the job opportunities for Rural Surveyors is available here.
Understanding of traditional land management (agriculture, forestry, sporting) and emerging and topical issues (environmental and conservation activities, tourism projects, countryside access, diversification and renewable energy initiatives) is combined with an understanding of the business skills necessary for successful decision-making and rural business management. Graduates will be ideally suited to contribute to driving energy transitions relating to land management, in particular wind, water, biomass and geothermal.
The programme is designed for graduates from any discipline and is the only programme of its kind in Scotland, accredited by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS). Graduates therefore have the option of entering a career in chartered surveying (Rural or Environmental Professional Groups) having already made progress towards their APC. Career options include areas such as land agency, estate management, countryside management, and rural policy and development. Diploma and Masters graduates in Rural Surveying are particularly highly sought-after by the leading land agency firms throughout the UK: Strutt and Parker, Bidwells and Savills to name but a few. Many of these firms visit the Department as part of their annual recruitment strategy. Other graduates have secured employment with landed estates (Buccleuch Estates, Moray Estates, Strathmore Estates, Dunecht Estates), conservation bodies (SNH, RSPB) and public authorities (National Parks, Local Authorities).
- Commercial Surveyor
- Graduate Land Manager
- Graduate Surveyor
- Rural Surveyor
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Contemporary Environmental Challenges
- Agricultural Principles and Practice
- Forestry and Game Management
- Rural and Environmental Policy and Law
- Rural Business Management
- Valuation for Rural Surveyors
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesEconomics Management, Organisation & Leadership Public Policy View 1700 other Masters in Management, Organisation & Leadership in United Kingdom
- 2:2 (lower second class) UK Honours degree, or an Honours degree from a non-UK institution which is judged by the University to be of equivalent worth
- Those who do not meet the academic requirement but have a minimum of 5 years relevant work experience will also be considered
- English Language Requirements
- An up-to-date CV/Resumé
- A degree certificate showing your qualifications
- A full transcript showing all the subjects you studied and the marks you have achieved in your degree(s) (original & official English translation)
- Personal Statement
- A minimum of 5 years relevant work experience will also be considered
International18400 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18400 GBP per year during 12 months.
National8200 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8200 GBP per year during 12 months.
- RUK students fee - £8,200 per year
Living costs for Aberdeen
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.