The M. A.T. in Middle Grades Education Program from University of North Carolina Wilmington is available through face to face and distance education formats. Students may enroll in the program part-time or full-time. Most full-time students complete this program within two years.
Program Goals and Learning Outcomes
The mission of the Middle Grades MAT program is to prepare developmentally responsive and effective middle grades educators.
We address this mission by providing: a.) coursework aligned to the NC Professional Teaching Standards and Association for Middle Level Education standards and b.) Field experiences in a variety of settings.
Upon completion of the program, candidates will:
- Teacher Candidates will demonstrate leadership by applying the major constructs (concepts, principles, theories, standards, and research) related to young adolescent development and developmentally responsive middle schools
- Teacher Candidates will establish a respectful educational environment for diverse learners by adapting instruction based on analysis of the individual needs (e.g., learning, social, emotional) of young adolescents and their community contexts
- Teacher Candidates will demonstrate content knowledge by applying major content-specific constructs (concepts, principles, theories, language, standards, and research) during field experiences and internship
- Teacher Candidates will facilitate student learning through the learning cycle (planning, instruction, and assessment) by applying a variety of developmentally appropriate strategies and technologies to meet the learning needs of young adolescents
- Teacher Candidates will reflect on their practice by analyzing student learning to inform their instruction and professional development
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Advanced Middle Grades Education
- Advanced Diverse Learners
- Instructional Design in the Middle Grades
- Advanced Field Studies 6-9
- Literacy Integration in the Middle Grades 6-9
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Teaching View 3597 other Masters in Education in United States
- One official transcript is required from each U.S. post-secondary institution attended. Refer to the Getting Started page for international transcript instructions.
- 3 recommendations by individuals in relevant professional fields to be submitted through the online application
- Education Statement of Interest Essay
- Candidates for the MAT program are strongly urged to have teaching experience documented before they apply in order to be knowledgeable about education in middle level schools and working with young adolescents. Such experience may include substitute teaching, part-time teaching, or volunteer work.
International18548 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18548 USD per year during 24 months.
National18548 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18548 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State4720 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4720 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Wilmington
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.