The Initial Licensure Concentration aims to enable candidates to:
- Acquire the competencies and habits of mind of effective teaching
- Reflect on historical, philosophical and theoretical perspectives related to current educational issues and practice
- Examine empirical research and engage in the scientific reasoning process
- Acquire and apply advanced knowledge of child development theory and research in the design and implementation of education curricula, practices and environments
- Acquire knowledge of how children develop as thinkers and learners
- Acquire and apply advanced knowledge of emerging, research-based educational principles in the planning, implementation and evaluation of the educational environment and instructional program
- Become more aware of societal demands on the curriculum as they relate to meeting the diverse needs of students
- Investigate effective educational partnership models, which focus on family strengths, circumstances and cultural experiences
- Demonstrate effective strategies and techniques for working with diverse populations of students in integrated learning environments
- Examine the shared values, ethics, purposes and commitments, which bond the educational community
- Acquire a professional orientation of collegiality and support, whereby contributions can be made to the improvement of education through the construction of knowledge and applications
Career OpportunitiesOnce a candidate has obtained this Early Childhood Education (PreK-2, initial licensure) degree offered by Fitchburg State University and has been endorsed by the University for initial licensure, they are eligible to teach in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts as a Teacher of Young Children. They may engage professionally in child and family care, both public and private.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Education Foundations: Theory and Practice
- Inclusion of Students with Disabilities in Regular Education
- Sheltered English Immersion (SEI)
- Strategies for Creating an Effective Learning Environment
- 30 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
Completed applications are reviewed on a rolling admission basis
- Self-paced, Semi-structured
- Regular optional meetings, Regular mandatory meetings
DisciplinesEducation Teaching Early Childhood Education View 3553 other Masters in Education in United States
- An official transcript of a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Passing scores for the Communication and Literacy subtest of the Massachusetts Test of Educator Licensure (MTEL)
- Three letters of recommendation
- Professional resume
- Official transcripts of graduate level course work from a regionally accredited institution (if applicable)
- Graduate application and fee
- An essay, no more than one page in length, in response to one of the following questions:
- Tell us about a positive situation in which you helped a person and made a significant difference in that person’s life.
- What are the most important factors in establishing a long-term working relationship with students, friends, etc.?
- Tell us about a significant event that involved you in a teaching or helping mode.
- Describe the situation as it occurred at the time.
- What did you do in that particular situation?
- How did you feel about the situation at the time you were experiencing it?
International319 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 319 USD per credit during 30 months.
National319 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 319 USD per credit during 30 months.
In-State334 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 334 USD per credit during 30 months.
Living costs for Fitchburg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.