Our department is home to a rich array of student programs and award-winning faculty research, held together by common commitments to studying the power of words. With our jointly-governed faculty and an instructor-led curriculum, we proudly teach First Year Writing to the entire UIC undergraduate population. We are the largest humanities major at UIC, and offer MA and PhD programs in English studies, creative writing, and English education.
Located in Chicago, Illinois, a dynamic city with the third-largest metropolitan area in the nation, the English Department at the University of Illinois at Chicago benefits from our public research institution setting as well as the dedicated and world-class faculty who call UIC home.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Theory, Rhetoric, and Aesthetics
- British Literature and Culture
- American Literature and Culture
- Global and Multiethnic Literatures and Cultures
- Media, Film, and Performance Studies
- Language and Literacy
- Discourse Analysis
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesLanguages Literature View 701 other Masters in Languages in United States
- Baccalaureate Field - Applicants who intend to concentrate in English Studies or English Education must have an undergraduate major in English or the equivalent that includes a balanced program in English and American literature beyond the level of sophomore surveys.
- Letters of Recommendation - Three required, preferably from individuals acquainted with the applicant’s recent academic, professional, or creative work.
- Statement of Purpose - Required.
International24738 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12369 USD per semester during 24 months.
National24738 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12369 USD per semester during 24 months.
In-State11870 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5935 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Chicago
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.