The objectives of the Biology program at Southern University and A&M College are:
- To provide advanced training in biology for individuals who wish to pursue careers in industry, government, and education.
- To provide advanced training in biology for individuals who wish to pursue studies at the doctoral level.
- To provide advanced training in biology for individuals who wish to strengthen their background in the life sciences.
- Note: A limited number of Teaching and Research Assistantships (TAs) are available for qualified full-time students in the program.
- The main project in Dr. Martinez-Ceballos laboratory focuses on the role of the Hoxa1 transcription factor on the differentiation of mouse embryonic stem cells (ESCs) along a neuroectodermal pathway. The long-term goal of this project is to elucidate and characterize the molecular mechanisms by which the Hoxa1 transcription factor directs the differentiation of embryonic stem cells into neurons. Expression of the Hoxa1 gene in cells and tissues can be activated by retinoic acid (RA), a derivative of vitamin A. Inactivation of both alleles of the Hoxa1 gene in mice results in numerous developmental defects, including hindbrain deficiencies and abnormal skull ossification, and ultimately, in neonatal death. In humans, truncating mutations of the HOXA1 gene have been associated to autism susceptibility. This project forms part of the Master's theses of Amita Shresta and Sri L. Kona
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiology Botany View 1291 other Masters in Biology in United States
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Hold a baccalaureate degree granted by a regionally accredited institution (or a recognized university, if you are an international student)
- Have earned a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.7 in all undergraduate work pursued and at least 3.0 on all graduate work completed. (Please note that if your GPA is less than 2.7 but at least 2.5, you may still be considered for conditional admission at the discretion and upon the recommendation of your chosen program of interest.)
- Submit acceptable scores in the General Test of the Graduate Record Examination
- Satisfy any additional requirements of the academic department in which the chosen degree program is housed.
International10622 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5311 USD per semester during 12 months.
National10622 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5311 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for Baton Rouge
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.